Podcasting involves the creation of a series of audio files that are distributed to listeners in episodes. There are a number of steps & tools required in the creation and distribution of podcast. One of the important elements is the RSS Feed.
Podcasting is at the heart of what we do at EDNG as we bring you weekly interviews with digital business owners and founders. This article therefore focuses on how to publish your podcast on iTunes so your listeners can have access to them. In this article, we have used SoundCloud as the podcast hosting platform because it is the tool we use at EDNG.
Publishing your Podcasts on iTunes Store
To publish your podcasts on iTunes you need to follow these steps:
- Ensure it is in .mp3, .m4a, .m4v, .mov or .mp4 file (not Windows Media, RealMedia or Flash).
- Ensure your file name only includes letters and numbers and not accented characters.
- Get your artwork ready. Here is a summary of the guide from iTunes; “Artwork must be in the JPEG or PNG file formats and in the RGB color space with a minimum size of 1400 x 1400 pixels and a maximum size of 3000 x 3000 pixels at 72 DPI. For examples of artwork, see Top Podcasts in the Podcasts app or the iTunes Store”.
- Select a suitable podcast hosting platform to use. For this example, we will be using SoundCloud. There is a great list of different podcast hosting platforms here. This website also had a fair attempt at comparing some of them.
- After uploading your podcast to SoundCloud, you will need to set up an RSS feed for your account.
How To Automatically Add Tracks To Your RSS Feed
- Go to the Settings page on the rightmost corner of your SoundCloud page.
- Click on the Content tab on the new page
- Fill the compulsory fields, then scroll to the “Upload defaults” section and mark “Include in RSS Feed”
- Click on “Save Changes” at the bottom right of the page.
- This will automatically add your future tracks to your RSS feed.
Uploading Previous Tracks To Your RSS Feed
To upload all your previous tracks to your RSS feed in one batch. Follow these steps:
- Go to your profile icon and click on it.
- You will find a dropdown, click on “Tracks”.
- Click on the selector box which chooses all your tracks.
- Once done, select “Edit Tracks”
- You will find a dropdown once you select “Edit Tracks, click on “Permissions” from the dropdown.
- A new window opens for “Permissions”, ensure you mark “Include in RSS Feed”
- Once done, click “Save” at the bottom of the “Permissions” pop-up window.
You can continue with publishing your podcasts on iTunes using these concluding steps:
6. You can choose to sign up on PodTrac in order to get more information about your podcast subscribers and listeners. If you choose to use PodTrac, you will need to enter http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/ as your “stats service URL prefix” under the Content section of your Settings page. Refer to image 1.0 above.
7. To add more categories for your podcast on iTunes, you will need to sign up on FeedBurner to do this. More details on how to do it here.
8. Download iTunes and visit the iTunes Connect page
9. Login to the iTunes Connect page to submit your podcast.
11. To submit your podcast. In the new podcast page, Click ‘Submit’. Ensure you have validated the podcast before submitting it.
12. Your RSS feed will then be validated and submitted by Podcasts Connect.
13. Click OK.
14. Podcasts Connect will show your podcast in the dashboard along with the Submitted for Review status. Your RSS feed will first need to pass the initial validation (for example, the RSS feed contains all of the recommended tags for the iTunes Store) and submission.